Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Chapter 14: Yes, She’s a Christ figure, too - Reflection

Chapter 14: Yes, She’s a Christ figure, too - Reflection

This chapter particularly resonates with me because Jesus Christ is a very prominent figure in my life. I was somewhat surprised at the perspective that this chapter gave me. Before when reading a book or watching a movie, I only recognized a character to be a “Christ figure” if that character was religious or in some way affiliated with the church, but this chapter proposed that any non-religious character can be a “Christ figure” if they check certain boxes that display Christ-like characteristics, some having to do with religion but most not. It makes sense, I don't know if I agree with everything that it says, but I see his train of thought, and it is something to think about when reading a new book or watching a new movie. After reading this chapter, I started remembering past movies that I have watched and making connections. Like Harry Potter for example, he had a wound on his head, was in agony, self-sacrificing, good with children, used humble modes of transportation, spent time alone in the wilderness, had a tempted (and untempted) confrontation with a devil figure (Voldemort), defied death on multiple occasions, had disciples, was very forgiving, and came to redeem an unworthy world. I noticed that I felt a deeper and more personal connection to that character and that the story of the character was kind of taken to a whole new level. Since I read this chapter, i’ve noticed myself looking for a Christ figure where I wouldn't have before in stories/movies, and when I do, I am constantly looking for more Christ-like characteristics.

No comments:

Post a Comment